Here are 10 cheap dinner recipes to get dinner on the table fast! Grocery prices are on the rise but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have have an inexpensive but nutritious and tasty home cooked dinner in just minutes! All of these recipes cost less than $5.00 for the entire thing! Yep, I do feed my entire family of 7 using these recipes for less than $5.00 with these recipes from volume 1 of our cookbook.
10 Dinners For $5 – Cheap Dinner Recipes And Ideas
These cheap dinner recipes make it easy to feed your family without spending too much! You can make each recipe for under $5.00, some for significantly under $5.00. Of course, if you want to feed a lot of people or if your family are big eaters, you might want to double or triple these recipes.
One easy way to save money on your food bill is to have a small collection of meals your family likes that you can make over and over again and then occasionally add in something different if you feel extra adventurous. Families actually like the same predictable recipes most of the time so save yourself the trouble and keep a list of your family’s favorites so you don’t have to give it too much thought before getting dinner on the table.
These cheap dinner recipes are family favorites that most families love, so if you’re not sure what your family likes the best, try these out on them and make note of which ones they seem to like best!
You can make this Honey Baked Chicken Recipe in less than 5 minutes for less than $3 for the entire family! This is our family’s favorite and it’s easy to make! It is also one of our readers’ favorite recipes and viewers of our YouTube show are constantly raving about how good it is!
Honey-Baked Chicken Recipe
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
6 chicken fryer pieces
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange chicken in a baking dish with the skin side up.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting every 15 minutes (until chicken is tender and brown).
- Serve with rice. Serves 4-6.
Oven Fried Chicken With Biscuits
4–5 Tbsp. margarine (not butter)
4–6 pieces of chicken
1/2 cup baking mix
Salt and pepper
1 can refrigerator biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Melt margarine in a 9×13 inch pan.
- Pour baking mix onto a plate or into a plastic bag.
- Roll chicken in the margarine, then into baking mix and place back into the pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the juices run clear.
- About 5-10 minutes before the chicken is done, push the pieces of chicken tightly against one side of the pan and lay biscuits into the pan on the opposite side.
- Finish baking until the biscuits are brown.
It’s okay to lay the biscuits in the margarine and all in the bottom of the pan. That makes the biscuits margarine soaked and crispy. Oh, yum!
Homemade Pizza Recipe
- Yield: 2 medium pizzas 1x
1 cup warm water (about 120°)
1 pkg. or 1 Tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil (olive oil is best, but you can use vegetable oil)
2 1/2 – 3 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in a bowl with warm water.
- Add sugar, salt, oil and spices (see below).
- Mix well.
- Gradually add flour to form stiff dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Turn dough over to grease both sides.
- Cover and let rise until doubled. Makes 2 medium pizzas.
Add desired toppings and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until crust is brown.
Optional Spices to add to dough:
2 tsp. garlic, crushed
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
For more easy pizza ideas, including ways to make the dough faster, check out our Homemade Pizza recipe post here.
For more cheap dinner recipes your family is sure to love, check out our cookbooks!
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
Maple Glazed Chicken Recipe
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
Salt and pepper (to taste)
4 pieces chicken
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Mix maple syrup, lemon juice and butter together in a small saucepan.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Spray a baking dish.
- Place chicken in the dish.
- Add salt and pepper to the chicken.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and pour on glaze.
- Bake 15 minutes more or until juices run clear.
Sour Cream Enchiladas Recipe
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
1 can enchilada sauce
8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
12 corn tortillas
- Spray a 9×13 pan (or one slightly smaller) with cooking spray.
- Place a tablespoon of sour cream and a tablespoon of cheese in the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up each one and place in the pan.
- Pour enchilada sauce over it all.
- Spread remaining sour cream and cheese on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or 250° for 45-60 minutes.
This recipe serves about 4. If you have hearty eaters, you may want to double it.
You can make this in the morning and let it sit until you are ready to cook it. Some people like to include cooked hamburger, onions, chicken or green chiles along with the sour cream and cheese.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
1/2–1 lb. round steak or leftover roast, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
2–3 cups rice or egg noodles, cooked
1 Tbsp. catsup
1 tsp. onion salt
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Cut round steak into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, brown on medium high for 5-10 minutes (until cooked through).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Cook only until heated through.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles. Serves 4.
If you are a chili connoisseur this quick and easy chili recipe may not be for you but if you have picky eaters or children this chili recipe may be be a life saver. You can adjust the amounts of the ingredients to the size of your family without doing much harm. This is also a perfect recipe to make the day before and just warm up when you need it.Print
Quick And Easy Chili Recipe
3 small cans tomato soup*
3 soup cans of water
1/2 to 1 lb. cooked hamburger
Chili powder, to taste
Garlic powder and onion powder, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put everything into a large pan.
- Simmer at least 2 hours. It’s better to let it simmer all day if possible.
I usually use at least 2 teaspoons each of chili powder and garlic powder. You can also use onions.
You can add almost anything you want to this basic recipe. Beans work well or I like to crumble in some fried sausage for extra flavor.
*I have also replaced the soup with a large can (32-36 oz.) of tomato juice and it is good, too!
Chicken Supreme Casserole
1 cup boxed stuffing (uncooked)
1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen green beans, thawed
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 cups chicken or turkey, cooked and cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
In a greased 2 quart baking dish, layer all of the above in the order given.
1 cup stuffing mix (uncooked)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
Mix topping and pour over the top. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
Sheala’s Easy Ham and Noodles Recipe
1 (8 oz.) pkg. egg noodles or pasta, cooked
1/2 lb. ham, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Mix first three ingredients together in a casserole dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes until warmed.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serves 4.
1 package of any vegetable may be added.
Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
1/2 lb. ground beef, browned
6 cups macaroni, cooked
2 cups American cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- In a casserole dish, mix browned ground beef with macaroni, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Add cheese.
- Heat in oven* at 350° for 20 minutes. Serves 4.
*When I am in a hurry, I drain the macaroni. Then I add the rest of the ingredients and cheese into the same pan I cooked the macaroni in. I then stir until the cheese is melted.
From A Reader:
Here is an easy adaptation of your Hamburger Casserole recipe:
Brown 1 lb. hamburger, drain grease
Prepare 1 box mac n’ cheese
When mac n’ cheese is done, add the browned hamburger, a can of drained corn, and a can of tomato sauce. Yummy, kids LOVE it, and so do husbands!! :)
Enjoy your day, Jen V. in Wisconsin
For more easy and cheap dinner recipes, check out some of these favorite posts: