This Best Chocolate Pie Recipe is one of those recipes you read and immediately realize you have to make one. You can tell just by reading the recipe it’s going to be that good!
I love finding family recipes that I know we will return to over and over again and hand down for generations. This pie is definitely one of those recipes. Everyone loves it! Whether you are making chocolate pie for a big occasion like Thanksgiving, or you just want a cold pie to cool off after a day outside, this is going to be your go-to chocolate pie recipe.
This recipe and many other tried and true family favorites are found in our Dining on a Dime Volume 2 Cookbook.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Pie Recipe
Making this chocolate pie is incredibly easy and even fun! You’ll need a medium to large saucepan, and something to stir with. You’ll need to unwrap and break all of the candy bars first. Then, melt all of the ingredients together in the saucepan except for a half cup of heavy cream. Then you remove that mixture from the heat and add the remaining heavy cream.
Pour the chocolatey mixture into a graham cracker crust and refrigerate it for 24 hours so it sets. Finally, you smother the pie in whipped cream and serve it cold or even partially frozen! It’s the perfect cold pie for a hot summer day.
Ingredients for Chocolate Pie
Hershey’s Candy Bars with Almonds. How fun is it that you make the best chocolate pie recipe ever with candy bars! This is the perfect chance to get your kids and grandkids involved. They can unwrap the bars for you and break them up too!
Heavy Cream. It comes in a carton near the half-n-half.
Large Marshmallows. You’ll need 29 so buy the 10 ounce bag.
Graham Cracker Crust. You can buy a store-bought crust or make your own.
Whipped Topping or Whipped Cream. You can buy store-bought or make your own for this as well.
Tips and Tricks to Make the Best Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Stir the mixture continuously on the stovetop until it all melts.
- When you remove it from the heat and add that last half cup of heavy cream, make sure to mix it really, really well.
- Switch up the crust and make a crushed chocolate cookie crust instead. It will up the chocolate factor!
- Try sprinkling the whipped cream with those mini chocolate chips or festive sprinkles. It adds a fun texture.
- You do not have to bake the graham cracker crust.
- Once most of the marshmallows are melted, push the marshmallow blobs with a spoon to smush them into melting. They sometimes retain their shape even when mostly melted. This works when making rice crispy treats as well.
- You do not have to absolutely thaw the best chocolate pie recipe to serve it from frozen. Chocolate pie is so good partially frozen! Thaw it enough it’s easy to get a fork into it, but still a little icy.
Storing The Leftovers
Keep the best chocolate pie in a covered pie container for a few days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the remaining pie whole and then slice. Slicing it frozen (or partially frozen) helps the pieces keep their shape when slicing them. Place individual slices in a freezer-quality zipper bag for long-term storage up to three months or so in the freezer. For easy single serving desserts, you can wrap individual slices in parchment paper or plastic wrap before putting them in the freezer bag. Unwrap and thaw to eat. You cannot thaw this pie in the microwave.
If you have a plastic pie keeper, you can literally just place the pie in that and freeze it whole. To freeze a whole pie without a pie keeper, place it on a cookie sheet in the freezer for several hours first, and then wrap the whole pie in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Place this in a large freezer-quality zipper bag. Unwrap to thaw in the refrigerator.
More Easy Pies to Try
Easy No Bake Millionaire Pie Recipe. This is a fabulous pie for potluck dinners!
The Best Easy Apple Pie Recipe. When Fall comes, this hot apple pie with ice cream is what we crave.
Ice Cream Pie Recipe. I mean, how could you go wrong if you make an ice cream pie?
Pecan Cheesecake Pie Recipe. Pecans and cheesecake were made to go together in a pie. So yummy.
The Best Chocolate Pie Recipe is from our Dining on a Dime Volume 2 Cookbook.
Save Money On Groceries And Make Meals Easier! (Sale Up To 50% Off!)
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks SALE Up To 50% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
Best Ever Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 2 (4 oz.) Hershey’s candy bars with almonds
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 20 large marshmallows (10 oz. bag)
- 1 graham cracker crust
- whipped topping or whipped cream
- Break Hershey’s bars and place them into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream and marshmallows.
- Stir continuously until melted.
- Remove from heat and add the rest of the heavy cream.
- Mix well.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours to set.
- Cover with whipped topping.
Hello,thank you for this easy chocolate pie recipe.I love chocolate and may use some dark chocolate or half chocolate and half dark chocolate for this pie.Good luck on your packing and selling all of you all’s cookbooks.Be well you all.Love,Pia&Family.I bought your volume 1 cookbook for a good Friend.I already have your 20th Anniversary Edition and love it.😘🙏❤
Oh thank you Pia. Your well wishes and encouragement mean so much to us. Thank you too for buying the books. Enjoy the chocolate pie.