The perfect side for any BBQ, my easy vinegar coleslaw recipe will delight your family and guests alike. A quick and easy vegetable serving, coleslaw adds the perfect tangy contrast to meats in a rich sauce. Make this Coleslaw recipe any time you need that contrast with your meal.
One of our favorite ways to serve coleslaw is as a topping on bbq pulled pork sandwiches. The acidic crunchy coleslaw is a perfect sandwich component.
How to Make Vinegar Coleslaw
Start by shredding your cabbage and carrots either with a food processor or a box shredder. Next, mix the dressing ingredients with a whisk to get it thoroughly emulsified. Give the dressing a taste to determine if you need more sweetener. Finally, stir half the dressing over the cabbage and carrots and stir well. Taste and add more dressing as needed.
Cole slaw or coleslaw?
The word coleslaw is a descendant of the Dutch word “koolsla” which means “cabbage salad”. Sometimes it is mistakenly referred to as “cold slaw” because it does indeed need to be kept refrigerated and served cold. For this reason, people sometimes think it is actually supposed to be cole slaw (two words) and it is often spelled that way on recipe cards handed from person to person. VInegar coleslaw is a cabbage salad made with either vinaigrette or mayonnaise dressing.
How Long Does Coleslaw Keep?
Coleslaw doesn’t keep really well in the fridge because the liquids will wilt the cabbage over time. You can usually keep it for a couple of days in an airtight container. You cannot freeze coleslaw. Because this coleslaw recipe is made with a vinaigrette dressing, it will keep better than mayonnaise-based variations.
Can a Food Processor Make Coleslaw?
Having a food processor definitely helps make shredding the vegetables for coleslaw easier. You can shred the cabbage and carrot all at the same time and it’s significantly faster than shredding by hand with a box shredder. However, a box shredder will work so you do not have to have a food processor to make coleslaw. Sometimes I will even make coleslaw just by rough chopping everything with a knife.
Tips for Making Awesome Coleslaw
- Make the coleslaw a little bit ahead of time so that the dressing has time to pull out the natural juices from the cabbage and blend with that flavor.
- When you first mix up the dressing with the cabbage, it will probably look too dry. However, cabbage has a lot of juice that will add liquid as the coleslaw rests.
- Keep coleslaw refrigerated until it’s time to serve it. It is more palatable cold.
- If you don’t want to shred cabbage, you can buy a pre-shredded coleslaw mix at your local grocery store.
- Kids like a sweeter coleslaw and will be more likely to eat it at first if it is slightly sweeter than you might prefer. Add a little extra sweetness to your kid’s servings to encourage vegetable consumption. As they acquire a taste for the dish you can gradually decrease this.
- To make keep your cabbage crunchy, mix it with a tablespoon of salt an hour before you need to eat the coleslaw, and let it sit. Thirty minutes later give it a quick rinse and drain off the liquid. Mix your coleslaw as you normally would. By pulling out some of the liquids from the cabbage ahead of time, you give the vinegar coleslaw recipe a chance to stay crunchy and not get soggy.
This easy vinegar coleslaw recipe is from volume 2 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
What goes well with Vinegar Coleslaw?
You can serve coleslaw with any meal to provide a nice contrasting acid. It works particularly well as a sandwich topping for barbecue sandwiches. Serve with brisket, bbq chicken, or hotdogs for a traditional summer meal.
Honey Baked Chicken. A sweet and tangy baked chicken provides a nice compliment to coleslaw.
Bacon Cheese Meatloaf. Rich and delicious meatloaf.
Peachy Pork Chops. A sweet and fruity pork chop preparation.
2-Ingredient BBQ Chicken. Tasty chicken with a homemade bbq sauce.
Easy Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe
This easy vinegar coleslaw recipe makes tangy and delicious coleslaw, the perfect side for any BBQ! It will delight your family and guests!
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- yellow or red onion, finely sliced (optional)
⅓ cup white or apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. sugar or honey, (or more, depending on sweetness)
1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mix cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Taste the dressing and decide if you’d like to add more sweetener.
- Add about half of the dressing to the cabbage, carrots, and onions and gently toss.
- Slowly add more dressing, to taste.
If you like this easy vinegar coleslaw recipe, you might like some of our other similar recipes!
Garlic Salad Recipe – Creamy And delicious with lots of garlic flavor!
The BEST Cole Slaw Recipe Ever! Sweet and creamy coleslaw
Zucchini Slaw Recipe – Great Way To Use Garden Leftovers!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.