This chicken spinach casserole recipe makes a rich and delicious Italian-style chicken dinner your family will love! With just 15 minutes prep time, you can serve a tasty restaurant-quality meal without spending a fortune! You’ll be surprised how easy it is!
Why spend a fortune taking the family out for dinner every night when you can make dinner for the entire family for just $5?
This easy chicken spinach casserole is a super easy chicken dinner recipe your family will love! For me, just thinking of what to make is the hardest part of dinner, so picking the recipe is a major step to getting it done! This chicken spinach casserole recipe is so easy and delicious, you will want to add it to your weeknight meal rotation!
Seasoned juicy chicken breast smothered in tasty cream cheese and wilted spinach and baked to perfection – There really isn’t much you can’t love about this easy-to-make recipe!
Chicken dinner recipes are always family favorites and this one is no exception! Even teenagers and children love this recipe. This chicken spinach casserole recipe doesn’t take much effort to make, but it delivers a lot of flavor!
You don’t need any fancy equipment, most of the ingredients are already in your pantry, and you don’t even need to marinate the chicken for hours on end before you assemble the casserole. Here is everything you need to know to recreate the delicious chicken spinach casserole!
Ingredients you will need for the Chicken Spinach Casserole Recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – The recipe calls for boneless chicken breasts, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs. This recipe works best with boneless chicken, but it is ok to make it with bone-in chicken, like chicken legs if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – The cream cheese gives this recipe a creamy texture and a rich, full-bodied flavor you’re sure to love!
- Spinach – The spinach adds a nice color and flavor to this recipe. If you don’t like spinach, it’s ok to leave it out.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is preferred because it adds to the flavor of the recipe, but in a pinch, if you don’t have olive oil you can use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Mozzarella cheese – Mozzarella cheese really amplifies the Italian theme, but you can really use any cheese you like. It will vary the flavor some, but the recipe will still taste great. We almost always have a Mexican blend cheese in the fridge, so I often use it in recipes like this if I don’t have Mozzarella on hand.
- Garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves – Every Italian dish should have plenty of garlic! I usually use garlic powder because it’s quick and easy, but fresh garlic is nice if you have some on hand. It’s also a great way to use fresh garlic from the garden.
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning and salt, along with the garlic, give this dish its distinctively Italian flavor. If you like a little more zip, the optional red pepper flakes and black pepper give it a little more spice!
How to Make the Chicken Spinach Casserole Recipe
The chicken spinach casserole recipe is very easy to make:
This recipe serves 4. (Full recipe below)
- First, you will add the marinade ingredients to a Ziploc freezer bag. Seal and mix the ingredients well to ensure all of the seasoning and spices are combined.
- Then add the chicken to the bag and mix again to make sure the chicken is coated well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes. You can leave it longer if you wish but that isn’t essential.
- While the chicken is marinating, preheat the oven and wilt the spinach in a skillet with the remaining olive oil. Once the spinach is ready you can set it aside.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and place them in a baking dish. Spread the cream cheese over the chicken breasts and lay the spinach on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top.
- Then bake for 20-30 minutes at 400°.
Recipe notes and tips
Here are some easy tips that will help you make this recipe.
- You don’t need to marinate the chicken for too long to make a full-flavored dish. 10-15 minutes is sufficient. However, if you do have time, you could put the chicken in the bag of seasonings to marinate in the morning or the night before to really maximize the flavor.
- If you don’t have a meat thermometer to help you measure the internal temperature of the chicken then just cut halfway through at the thickest point of the chicken breast. As long as there is no pink and the juices run clear, then it is cooked. I rarely use a thermometer unless I am particularly concerned.
- This chicken spinach casserole recipe is a great recipe if you want to get the kids involved and teach them to cook. It includes easy-to-follow instructions and it is perfect to get the kids excited about cooking.
Easy Recipe Variations
With any recipe, it’s best to make the recipe exactly as it is written the first time so you are sure you know how to make it as intended. Once you have mastered it, you might want to try experimenting with tasty variations. Here are a couple of variations of this recipe that you might want to try.
- Try adding some vegetables to this to make it a one-dish wonder. Bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and green beans will all work well with this dish.
- Before adding cream cheese to the chicken breast, wrap the chicken breasts with ham or bacon. It will add a different flavor. You can then add the cream cheese on top and continue with the recipe.
- Cook this in the slow cooker if you want something ready for when you get home. All the prep is done for you. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. It is OK to leave it in the crockpot a couple of hours longer if necessary.
- If you don’t like spinach, this recipe will still work without it. You can add other vegetables to it, or just simply enjoy a cream cheese chicken casserole.
- You can make this recipe with chicken thighs, chicken legs, or even use other meat like turkey.
Here are some commonly asked questions about this chicken spinach casserole recipe:
Can you make this ahead of time?
Absolutely. Firstly you could marinate the chicken the night before so that the flavors are really enhanced. You could also prepare the spinach, let it cool, and store it until you need it from the day before. Then all you need to do is assemble and bake when you need it. This dish will also work in the slow cooker. Prepare exactly the same way but instead of adding the chicken to a casserole dish assemble it in your slow cooker and then leave it on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
What should I do with leftovers?
Let the leftovers cool completely. Then add them to an airtight container before storing them in the refrigerator. Leftovers will last up to three days.
What should I serve with the chicken spinach casserole recipe?
This dish is so versatile that you can serve it with anything that sounds good. Some easy options that go with this recipe are:
- Mashed potatoes
- Garlic bread
- Side salad with a ranch dressing
- Roasted vegetables
- Loaded potato skins
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
Chicken Spinach Casserole Recipe
This chicken spinach casserole recipe makes a rich and delicious Italian style chicken dinner your family will love! With just 15 minutes prep time, you can serve a tasty restaurant-quality meal without spending a fortune! You’ll be surprised how easy it is!
- Yield: 4 servings
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut horizontally
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups spinach, rinsed
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper (optional)
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper into a Ziploc freezer bag.
- Seal the bag and mix.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bag.
- Seal the bag and mix it so the chicken breasts are covered in the marinade. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wilt the spinach in a skillet with the remaining olive oil and set aside.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and arrange them in a baking dish.
- Spread the cream cheese over the chicken breasts and lay the spinach on top of the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. The casserole is done when cooked to an internal temperature of 165˚.
More chicken dinner recipes you might like
Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe – a super delicious, savory restaurant quality garlic flavored dish that families love!
Easy Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe – A super yummy and easy-to-make Chinese chicken dinner recipe you can make in 10-15 minutes!
One Pan Swiss Mushroom Chicken
Maple Glazed Chicken Recipe – One of our readers’ favorites!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase this product we will get a small commission to help us bring more free and recipes and tips to you!
Leave a Reply