Here is an easy sweet and sour chicken recipe you can use to make a quick and easy dinner at home! This sweet and sour chicken is a quick and inexpensive dinner recipe and kids and families love it! It’s much cheaper than eating out and you can make dinner for $5 for the entire family! You can find this recipe in volume 1 of our Dining On A Dime Cookbook.Print
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- Yield: 1 1/4 cups 1x
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp. flour or cornstarch
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
1 can pineapple chunks (optional)
- Mix the brown sugar and flour in a saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the pineapple.
- Heat and stir until it boils and thickens.
Great with pork or chicken. Makes 1 1/4 cups of sweet and sour sauce.
Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipe
3–4 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cornstarch in one bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the cornstarch and then dip into the eggs. Place on a baking sheet.*
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 the sweet and sour sauce over the chicken in the last 15 minutes of baking and finish baking. Use remaining sweet and sour sauce to dip chicken when serving.
If you like, for a little extra flavor and color, you can also lightly saute your choice of veggies like bell peppers, chunks of white onions and carrots and add them to the sweet and sour chicken at the end, pouring a little extra sauce over the top when the veggies are added.I don’t usually add them because the kids don’t like them, but the veggies can definitely add a little pizazz!
*If you prefer, instead of baking you can fry these in a little oil until cooked through.
This easy sweet and sour chicken recipe is from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!