Here are some easy homemade rice krispie treats recipes along with lots of variations and ideas for how to make rice krispy treats extra special. These are super easy to make and kids love them!
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats Recipe – 18 Ways To Make Rice Krispie Treats
Here are some super yummy recipes for homemade rice krispie treats including lots of yummy variations that are perfect for any occasion! Rice krispie treats are perfect for after school snacks and you can vary them for any kind of holiday party or get together!
Basic Homemade Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
1/4 cup margarine
4 1/2 cups (10 1/2 oz. pkg.) marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies
Melt margarine and marshmallows in large pan. Add cereal and pour into a well greased 9×13 pan.
You can also make them in the microwave. Put margarine and marshmallows into a glass bowl and microwave for 45 seconds on high until marshmallows melt. Add cereal and pour into a greased pan.
This Chocolate Covered Cherry Rice Krispie Treats recipe has the flavor of chocolate covered cherries. They are as easy to make as the regular rice krispie treats but give an entirely different twist on an old time favorite.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
6 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. cherry gelatin powder*
16 oz. pkg. mini marshmallows
8 cups rice krispie cereal
11 oz. dark chocolate, melted
Melt butter, gelatin powder and marshmallows in a large pan over low heat. Stir constantly. When marshmallows are melted fold in cereal then press mixture ** into a 9×13 pan or baking sheet. Frost or drizzle with melted chocolate. Set for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.
* You could use strawberry gelatin in place of the cherry.
**To make it easier to press them into the pan, put a little bit of butter or spray your fingertips with a small amount of cooking spray and then press them in. This will keep the marshmallow from sticking to your fingers and get the job done quick and clean!
Rice Krispie Treats Variations And Tips:
- If you want to make regular Rice Krispie Treats, then just leave out the cherry gelatin powder and dark chocolate.
- You could start mixing and matching all kinds of things to make these gourmet Rice Krispie Treats!
- Peanut Butter Cup: put in a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in place of the cherry gelatin.
- Rocky Road: add some mini marshmallows, walnuts or almonds and chocolate chips for Rocky Road.
- Rainbow: Use Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- Mint Chip: Add 1/2 tsp. mint extract and a few drops green food coloring into marshmallows. Top with chocolate.
- Candy: Add Reece’s Pieces, M&M’s, Twix, Rolos, Skittles any of your favorite candies can be mixed in or just pressed on top.
- Oreo: Break up some Oreo Cookies and put in the mixture. Leave a few to press into the top.
Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats
6 cups Rice Krispies
4 1/2 cups (1 10 oz. bag) marshmallows
1/4 cup margarine
1/3 cup yellow cake mix
Melt the marshmallows and margarine. Mix in the cake mix one spoonful at a time. Add Rice Krispies and half of the sprinkles. Press into a greased pan and add the rest of sprinkles.
Here’s another rice krispy treat recipe for the chocolate lover in your family! The Oreos replace the Rice Krispies.
Oreo Rice Krispy Treats
1 pkg. ( about 6 cups) Oreos, coarsely crushed
5 cups of marshmallows
4 Tbsp. margarine
Melt marshmallows and margarine. Add Oreos and press into a greased 9×13 pan.
This Rice Krispy Rainbow Rolls recipe is an extra special variation on Rice Krispy Treats that adds a lot of color and a little bit different flavor. Kids will love these for their bright color and fruity taste!
Rice Krispy Rainbow Rolls Recipe
3 Tbsp. butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cups Fruity Pebbles or fruit rice cereal
1 1/2 – 2 cup vanilla frosting
Make these the same way you make rice krispy treats. Melt butter in a large pan. Add marshmallows. When they are melted, add salt and cereal. Mix well. Press into a 15x10x1 inch greased pan with buttered fingers or a piece of wax paper. When cool, spread with frosting and, starting at the short end, roll into a log jelly roll fashion. Then slice.
More Rice Krispie Treats Ideas:
Drag out the good old homemade rice krispie treats recipe for the Fourth of July but try adding a new twist. Add red or blue food coloring to the melted marshmallows and then, using a large star cookie cutter, cut them into stars to pile high on a plate.Get out some of those red paper plates you bought on sale after Christmas or Valentine’s Day to serve your treats on the Fourth of July.
Here’s another twist to the rice krispie treats: Add 1/3 cup peanut butter to the melted marshmallows and substitute frosted flakes for the Rice Krispies. You now have Tony the Tiger Treats.
- Instead of serving the same old rice krispie treats, add things like chocolate chips, M&M’s or nuts. You can also use different cereals like Honey Nut Cheerios, Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles. Of course, try to buy these in the off-brands to save.
- You can also drizzle a little melted chocolate, butterscotch, white chocolate or peanut butter chips over the top of homemade rice krispie treats. By drizzling things on top of cakes or cookies like this you can save by using less compared to spreading it all over.
- Rice Krispie Pops – Sometimes rice krispie treats can get sticky and gooey in the heat and humidity of summer so, for your next outside get-together, try rolling them into balls and stick a popsicle stick into each one. You could also roll them in sprinkles, candies or melted chocolate.
The sky is the limit. You can pretty much melt the margarine and marshmallows and throw anything in. Use up the last bits of leftover cereals, nuts, candies, sprinkles, etc.
For more recipes like these easy rice krispie treats recipes, check out our cookbook:
Click here to get the Dining On A Dime Cookbook, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!