Green chile is a tasty light meal when eaten with tortillas, but can also be used to top a lot of different Mexican-themed dishes! Try this easy homemade green chile recipe and you’ll have an easy meal for your family!
I absolutely love green chile! Being from Colorado, it’s pretty common to find green chile at Mexican restaurants. It can be eaten as a soup or it can be used to pour over the top of smothered burritos, enchiladas and more.
I like to serve my green chile wrapped in tortillas. Then I smother the tortillas with more green chile and then top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
If you like, you can make up the green chile and pour it over your favorite Mexican dishes like burritos or enchiladas. You can also pour it over chicken or pork chops.
Easy Green Chile Recipe
1/2–1 lb. pork roast, or chops cubed into small pieces
10 1/2 oz. chicken broth
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 – 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 (7 oz.) can green chiles, diced
1/4 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. flour or cornstarch, dissolved in water
flour tortillas (or corn tortillas if you’re gluten free)
cheddar cheese, grated
- Simmer pork in broth on low for 10 minutes.
- Add all of the other ingredients except flour.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Thicken with flour or cornstarch so it is like a thick soup.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into the center of a flour tortilla.
- Roll up tortilla.
- Top with more green chile.
- Sprinkle with cheese, lettuce and tomato.
- Top with sour cream, if desired.
This green chile freezes really well.
- This easy green chile recipe calls for pork, but I also occasionally make it with cubed cooked chicken.
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover pork or chicken.
- If you like, you can make the green chile and instead of serving wrapped in a tortilla, you can use to pour over your favorite Mexican dishes like burritos or enchiladas.
- This green chile recipe is also good served over rice and garnished with the cheese, lettuce and other toppings.
For hundreds of delicious recipes like this for quick and easy meals, check out our cookbooks!
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!