This Easy Homemade Sopapillas Recipe makes it easy to make this fried puff pastry popular in Mexican restaurants. They’re especially delicious with honey! Our kids just love them and they’re always a special treat!
You can save the some of the sopapilla dough in the refrigerator and use the dough for another night of sopapillas. In our family, we usually get 2-3 nights out of 1 batch of soapillas.Print
Easy Homemade Sopapillas Recipe
This Easy Homemade Sopapillas Recipe makes it easy to make this fried puff pastry popular in Mexican restaurants. They’re especially delicious with honey!
1 pkg. or 1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
3 Tbsp. shortening, melted
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
5 cups flour
oil for frying
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Mix first 7 ingredients.
- Knead, about 10 times, until smooth.
- Cover with a dish towel and let rise 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into squares or triangles.
- Fry one at a time in hot oil (385° to 400°), turning once until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon in a bowl.
- Roll sopapillas in cinnamon and sugar.
- Serve with honey.
Make sure your oil is hot enough and the dough is 1/8 inch thick or your sopapillas won’t puff. Makes about 20.
These recipes make a great meal for these Sopapillas:
This Homemade Sopapillas Recipe is from Volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!