This Chicken Fried Steak recipe is quick and easy and so delicious that your family is sure to love it! Save on your food bill with this inexpensive recipe, which costs dramatically less than the restaurant version!
Chicken fried steak is a tasty traditional Southern comfort food that can’t be beat, but it can be very expensive to buy at a steak house! Our chicken fried steak recipe is super easy and delicious. Because it uses ground beef, it is much more fork-tender than restaurant chicken fried steak, but it has all of the delicious flavor!
We always make our chicken fried steak recipe with white gravy and we have included an easy white gravy recipe. If possible, it is best to use some of the drippings, or leftover grease, from the beef to make the gravy. If you want to add a slightly different but delicious twist, you can use bacon grease for some or all of the gravy drippings.
Chicken fried steak is traditionally served with potatoes, like mashed potatoes topped with the same white gravy or baked potatoes. Rolling the baked potatoes in coarse salt before baking them gives them a more restaurant-like flavor.
It is also often served with a vegetable like fried okra, corn on the cob, broccoli or a salad. Coleslaw and potato salad are also great choices. Some people like to include a bread, like cornbread or Texas Roadhouse Rolls.
Mike has eaten a lot of chicken fried steak in his life and he absolutely loves this recipe. Whenever there’s a special occasion like his birthday or Father’s day, he requests this as part of the meal. Try it and see how it satisfies the chicken fried steak lover in your family!Print
Easy Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
1 lb. ground beef (You can use pre-made hamburger patties.)
1/4 cup milk, place in shallow bowl
1/4 –1/2 cup flour, place on plate
1 egg, whipped with fork and place in shallow bowl
1/2 –3/4 of a tube of crackers, crushed, place on plate
- Form ground beef into 5-6 patties.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil.
- Dip each patty into milk, then flour, then egg and last of all crackers.
- Place in the hot frying pan.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Turn down the heat and fry on one side. Then flip to other side.
The ground beef is done when the juices run clear.
Chicken Fried Steak White Gravy Recipe
- After frying the meat, leave 2-4 Tbsp. of drippings (and crumbs) in the pan, draining the rest.
- Add flour to the drippings.
- Quickly whisk to mix and loosen the crumbs. The mixture will be thick.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to mix into the flour mix. Whisk well.
- Bring to a boil, whisking the whole time until the mixture is thick. If it gets too thick, just add a little more milk.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
*If the meat is too lean to leave grease for the gravy, you can use bacon grease or cooking oil, but the oil will not flavor it as well as meat grease.
Recipes That Go Great With Chicken Fried Steak
Baked potatoes rolled in coarse salt
This easy chicken fried steak recipe and white gravy recipe are from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!