This easy chicken Alfredo recipe is a delicious meal you can make in 10 minutes! Your family will love it and you’ll save not eating out! It’s just as delicious as a fancy restaurant and a lot less expensive!
A simple and delicious meal, chicken Alfredo is also an inexpensive pasta dish you will return to over and over again. Use our chicken Alfredo recipe any time you want dinner on the table in the time it takes to cook diced chicken and boil pasta.
Chicken Alfredo is a popular kid’s menu item for a reason. The cheesy goodness of the Alfredo sauce complements any pasta and has a mild flavor kids love.
How to Make the Chicken Alfredo Recipe
Pulling together an Alfredo dish is really easy! Start by boiling water for pasta since that takes the longest. While you are waiting, move on to sautéing your diced chicken breast in a little oil or butter until it is fully cooked. To make your life even easier, grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, or cook diced chicken in bulk for your freezer and pull it out for recipes like this one.
Boil the pasta to your desired doneness while you finish the sauce in the same pan you used for the chicken. Drain the pasta, pour on the sauces, add chicken and eat!
Ingredients for Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Breast. Diced chicken breast or cut up rotisserie chicken will both work.
Butter. Real butter works best.
Parmesan Cheese. Freshly grated is fabulous, but in a pinch just grab a can ready to go.
Pasta of Your Choice. Almost any pasta will work for chicken Alfredo. We suggest fettuccine in the recipe but you can use whatever you prefer. Take your pick!
Sauce. Use the recipe below or grab your favorite sauce with a coupon.
Ingredients for Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Butter – Again, go for the real thing unless you need to be dairy-free.
Garlic – I use a fresh clove of garlic for this recipe. You can use jarred, minced garlic if you prefer.
Heavy Cream – I keep a quart of this in my fridge to use in sauce. It’s handy to have on hand for quick meals like chicken Alfredo.
Herbs – Oregano, Basil, and fresh Parsley are the perfect combination.
Salt and Pepper – Season to taste.
Tips for the Best Alfredo
- Cook your pasta following the package directions for the doneness you prefer. If you’ve never tried al dente, give it a try.
- Add just a tiny bit of olive oil to your drained pasta to keep it from sticking together and add flavor.
- Do not use a non-stick pan to sauté your chicken if you have a regular pan. Non-stick pans don’t gather up bits of goodness for the de-glazing process.
- Use the same pan to cook your chicken and then make your sauce. Heat the pan a little bit after you remove the chicken. This will allow the yummy stuff on the pan to loosen and add incredible flavor to the sauce as soon as you start adding sauce ingredients.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce before serving to make sure every piece of pasta gets an even coating of sauce.
- Try adding vegetables to have variety whenever you want alfredo! Veggies like red peppers, onions, celery, sun-dried tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, or sugar snap peas can be sauteed before the chicken and set aside. Then just add them back into the pan when you mix the pasta with the sauce and chicken.
What to Serve with the Chicken Alfredo Recipe
Garlic bread or crusty Italian bread is the perfect complement to chicken Alfredo. You can also serve the dish with a fresh salad, sliced garden tomatoes, or steamed green beans, or asparagus. Brussels sprouts with bacon are also a good choice.
Storing and Freezing Chicken Alfredo
- Save your leftover Alfredo in air-tight containers or freezer bags.
- Use individual serving containers so that the leftovers can be taken to work or grabbed quickly for lunch.
- Freeze for up to three months in the proper container.
More Pasta Dishes to Try
Beef and Bacon Pasta – You can never go wrong with bacon over pasta!
Pasta Veggie Fruit Salad – When you need a cold dish with some filling power.
A Different Chicken and Pasta Recipe– A very basic pasta and chicken dish without the richness of Alfredo.
Ranch Turkey Pasta Recipe – Have you ever tried to use ranch in a recipe? It makes a yummy sauce!
Easy Chicken Alfredo Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. fettuccine pasta, cooked
- Sauce (see below)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- In a pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add chicken breast.
- Cook 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and set chicken aside.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, melt butter for sauce and add the garlic.
- Cook until the garlic begins to soften.
- Add cream, Parmesan cheese, and parsley to the garlic and butter, stirring until incorporated.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil, and stir well to incorporate.
- Add parmesan cheese and chicken and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over cooked pasta.
- Add parsley and extra parmesan if desired.
- Mix well.