This easy roast sticky chicken recipe is a great way to roast a large chicken! It is very easy to make and makes a great deli style chicken. The meat comes out very moist and flavorful. This is the only way I will roast chicken now! It also makes wonderful leftovers!
I absolutely love this roast sticky chicken recipe. It is savory and delicious, juicy in the middle with a tasty seasoned skin.
You can easily make this roast sticky chicken with a whole chicken, but you can also make it with chicken pieces or a turkey. For years, I was always finding great prices on chicken leg quarters and, even though they’re not as popular as chicken breasts, leg quarters have a wonderful yummy taste and even more so when they’re roasted using this recipe.
This roast sticky chicken recipe is super versatile and and easy main dish to plan a family dinner around. I would make this and then serve it with rice, pan fried potatoes or baked potatoes and an easy vegetable. My family always liked broccoli best as a side, but it would also be great with green beans (we like the French cut kind), mixed vegetables or a squash medley.
Sometimes if I was in a big hurry, especially when the kids were small and wore me out faster, I’d throw this in the oven along with some frozen tater tots and serve it with canned pears, peaches or fruit salad. This roast sticky chicken recipe really is a very versatile recipe!Print
The BEST EVER Roast Sticky Chicken Recipe
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large (10 pounds) whole chicken, chicken parts or 20 lb. turkey
1 cup chopped onion or
1 sliced orange
- Combine all the spices.
- Remove the giblets from chicken.
- Rinse the chicken.
- Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.
- Place the seasoned chicken into a 9×13 inch pan, seal with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- If you’re using chicken parts, just rub the seasoning over both sides of the parts.
- When you’re ready to roast the chicken, stuff the cavity with onions or oranges.
- Roast, uncovered, at 250° for 5 hours.
Roast chicken parts 3-5 hours.
Roast a turkey 8-10 hours.
- After the first hour, baste the chicken with pan juices every half hour to 45 minutes.
- If you don’t have enough juices after 3 hours to baste, add 1 cup of water to the pan.
The chicken will be golden to dark brown with caramelized juices on the bottom. Let the chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.
Notes about this sticky chicken recipe:
- Double the spices if you’re using them on a turkey.
- You can put the spice rub on the chicken and place the onions inside and freeze until you cook it. You could prepare several chickens at once and then you can just throw it in the oven when you want to cook it. Cook an additional hour or two if you’re putting a frozen chicken in the oven.
- It’s NOT recommended to make this in the crockpot, but you can. If you make it in the crockpot, you will not have the wonderful crisp skin.
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!