This banana cupcakes recipe can be used to make banana cupcakes or banana bread. They’re a nice surprise in place of banana bread or muffins.
I use this banana cupcakes recipe to make 1 loaf of banana bread, but my favorite way to use it is to make banana cupcakes. These cupcakes are always a nice surprise in place of the typical banana bread or banana muffins. I have tried many different banana bread and muffin recipes over the years but I keep coming back to this one that has been in my family for 75 years or more.
Banana Cupcakes Recipe
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup solid shortening or margarine
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sour milk
1 cup bananas (about 3) mashed, very ripe are best
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2-1 cup nuts (optional)
Add each ingredient in order, beating until smooth. Pour into greased muffin tins or tins lined with papers. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done. Frost with buttercream frosting (canned vanilla or homemade).
Makes about 12 dozen regular size muffins.
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
3 cups powdered sugar (If sugar is lumpy, you may want to sift it.)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. milk
Mix sugar and butter. Add vanilla. Slowly add milk, beating until smooth. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk to get the right consistency. This frosts about one 9×13 cake, two 8 inch cakes or 1 dozen cupcakes. Can store this in the fridge for several weeks.
- When a recipe calls for you to beat the eggs before adding, I usually break the eggs on top of the ingredients that are already in the bowl, whisk slightly with a fork and continue mixing into the other ingredients with the mixer. This prevents you from getting out and dirtying a separate bowl to beat the eggs.
- If you want to make banana bread with this recipe, bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- You can add raisins or other dried fruit if you like.
- This banana cupcakes recipe is a great way to use up ripe bananas.
- Many people love cream cheese frosting but I prefer the vanilla butter cream for this recipe. It gives it a different flavor than the usual run of the mill that you find so many places doing with the cream cheese. It’s not that they aren’t good, too, but this is for something a little different.
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!