Quick Meal – Spanish Rice and Franks
Often, even I forget about all of great tips and ideas in the Dining on a Dime Cookbook. Here are just a few of the many hundreds of tips in it:
- Save your leftover rice to add to soups, casseroles, fried rice or have rice and beans on a tortilla.
- When cooking pasta, add a teaspoon of garlic powder to the water before you cook it for a nice flavor.
- When serving sour cream, use a knife (the way you would with mayo). You don’t use as much and don’t waste as much because you can easily scrape the knife along the container.
- For those of you who have Dining on a Dime, check out page 154 to find out how to make flavored cooking oils.
Spanish Rice and Franks*
Sliced Tomatoes, Carrots and Celery Sticks
Spanish Rice and Franks – (Quick meal recipe)
6 Hot dogs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup green pepper
1/4 cup salad oil
2 cup Minute rice
2 cup hot water
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown hot dogs in skillet with onions and peppers in the oil. Add rice; stir over medium heat to brown lightly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir about 1 tsp. bacon grease into your green beans while you are heating them. Add a small amount of onion salt and you have green beans that are big on flavor with very little work.
Dessert Kabobs Recipe
Mix and match any of the following and place on a toothpick or skewer. These would be fun to serve when you are having someone over to watch a game or for any upcoming holiday parties. With some of the items, you can match the color to the occasion.
Mix fruits or cakes or have all fruits or all cakes. The sky is the limit. Cut things like the cakes, cookies or brownies into smaller bite size pieces.
- Chocolate covered marshmallows
- Cakes – angel food, pound, chocolate, spice
- Mini cupcakes
- Rice krispy treats
- Soft candies
- Quick breads
Note: You can use canned fruit and store bought baked goods if you want.
Click here to get the Dining On A Dime Cookbook, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!