This yummy candied orange peels recipe is an easy and tasty way to use oranges! You’ll also find other great recipes and tips for using oranges.
Easy Orange Recipes and Tips
It’s that time of year. You found a really good deal on oranges but you purchased a few more than you can eat. Now what do you do with them. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Make juice out of the oranges and then use the peels for Candied Orange Peels.
- Use the leftover syrup from Candied Orange Peels (recipe below) on pancakes or French Toast. The syrup can also be used to make popsicles.
- Wash orange peels thoroughly. Grate the peel before using and freeze the zest for later use.
- Cut up orange segments and use as a garnish for salads. Use in fruit salad or sliced as a side dish.
- Cut up orange slices and use a garnish for meat or relish dishes.
- Cut up peels. In a saucepan add peels, 1 cinnamon stick, a few cloves and fill to the top with water. Simmer for a nice potpourri or dry peels and use in dry potpourri.
Easy Orange Marmalade
1 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup sugar
Cut the un-peeled orange and place into a blender or food processor with the water. Pour mixture into a saucepan with the sugar and boil for 15 minutes. *If a non-organic orange is used wash peels thoroughly before peeling
Candied Orange Peels
Peels from 3 large oranges, grapefruits or lemons*
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
Cut the peel on each fruit into quarters. Pull the peel off in these quarter sections. Slice peel into 1/4 inch-wide strips. In a saucepan add salt and cover with cold water. Boil 15 minutes, pour off water and add fresh water. Boil 20 minutes. Change water again and boil another 20 minutes. Drain and cover with 2 1/2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Simmer, stirring constantly, until all the syrup has boiled away. Do not let the peels scorch. Spread on wax paper. Roll peels in remaining sugar. Let dry. Store in an airtight container. Keeps one week or can be frozen.
*If non-organic fruit is used wash peels thoroughly before peeling. From Dining on a Dime
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!