This easy biscuits and gravy recipe makes it simple to prepare Southern style sausage gravy and biscuits from scratch! Biscuits and gravy is a $5 dinner idea you can make in just a few minutes and it’s sure to please hungry families!
For our biscuits and gravy recipe, we like using Mike’s biscuits because they’re a little crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, which makes them perfect to serve sliced open with the sausage gravy poured over the top! Oh Yum! Mike spent a lot of time making and re-making the biscuit recipe to figure out the perfect old fashioned taste and texture.
Mike’s Baking Powder Biscuits Recipe
- Yield: 10-12 biscuits
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 scant cup milk
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles cornmeal.
- Add milk, stirring enough to combine ingredients. Do not over stir.
- Put dough on a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. If the dough is sticky add a little flour to help form the ball.
- Knead lightly 5-10 times.
- Roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass rim that has been dipped in flour.
- Put onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 10-12 baking powder biscuits.
These homemade biscuits are especially great for sausage gravy and biscuits, but they also work well with any big breakfast and virtually any dinner menu! It only takes a few minutes to make them, so you can make a batch and let them bake while you make the sausage gravy!
This video demonstrates how to make the sausage gravy. Sausage gravy is the same as hamburger gravy, except for sausage gravy you use sausage drippings as the base and hamburger gravy uses hamburger drippings.
Easy Homemade Sausage Gravy Recipe
This homemade sausage gravy recipe is easy to make in just 5 minutes. It’s perfect for biscuits and gravy, but also delicious on chicken fried steak or with any recipe where you would use a white gravy!
1/2 lb. sausage
2–4 Tbsp. drippings (grease from sausage)
4 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fry sausage in a frying pan.
- Leave 2-4 Tbsp. of drippings in the pan, draining the rest.
- Add flour to the pan.
- Quickly whisk to mix and loosen the crumbs. The mixture will be thick.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to mix into the flour mix.
- Whisk well.
- Bring to a boil, whisking the whole time until the mixture is thick. If it gets too thick, just add a little more milk.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- When I make sausage gravy and biscuits or hamburger gravy, I leave the meat in the pan and just drain off some of the grease. Then I make the gravy with the meat still in the pan. Ground sausage or hamburger are good types of meat to start with because if you do get a few lumps at first it won’t be obvious because of the texture of the crumbled and fried meat.
- This sausage gravy can be used for chicken fried steak, too.
This easy biscuits and gravy recipe is from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Save Money On Groceries And Make Meals Easier! (Sale Up To 50% Off!)
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks SALE Up To 50% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!