This is the best homemade Christmas sugar cookies recipe, which makes sugar cookies that are so light and fluffy, you’re sure to love them!
The VERY Best Homemade Sugar Cookies Recipe!
This homemade sugar cookies recipe makes the best light and fluffy sugar cookies! These sugar cookies are perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or a tasty snack anytime!
- Yield: 4 dozen
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
6 cups all purpose flour
- Cream together the sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk. Stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Roll into balls and drop about 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet or silpat.
- Wet the tips of your fingers, smash down each cookie and sprinkle with sugar or colored sugar. If you prefer, you can roll out the cookies.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll out the dough. The dough will be very sticky.
- Cut with a cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, just until golden.
- This recipe can be easily halved.
- When you make this recipe, make sure to use shortening and not butter. The shortening is what makes the cookies light and fluffy. If you substitute butter, the sugar cookies will turn out flat and crunchy instead of light and fluffy, which is not what you want in a sugar cookie.
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
3 cups powdered sugar (If sugar is lumpy, you may want to sift it.)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1–2 Tbsp. milk
- Mix sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add milk, beating until smooth. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk to get the right consistency.
- This frosts about one 9×13 cake, two 8 inch cakes or 1 dozen cupcakes.
- You can store this frosting in the fridge for several weeks.
This easy sugar cookies recipe and the buttercream frosting are from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!