This is the BEST banana cake recipe in the world!! It’s moist, delicious and it’s a great way to use up those bananas that are starting to turn! I have taken this easy banana cake to get togethers and it is gone in 5 minutes!
You can find this easy banana cake recipe in our Dining On A Dime Cookbook, Volume 1.
The Best Banana Cake Recipe
- Yield: 18 servings
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup ripe bananas, (2-3 medium) mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour or whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center of the cake tests clean.
- Cool and frost this banana cake with Buttercream Frosting or Caramel Frosting.
This easy buttercream frosting recipe is perfect for the best banana cake recipe above or for banana cupcakes!Print
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
3 cups powdered sugar (If sugar is lumpy, you may want to sift it.)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1–2 Tbsp. milk
- Mix sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add milk, beating until smooth. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk to get the right consistency.
- This frosts about one 9×13 cake, two 8 inch cakes or 1 dozen cupcakes.
- You can store this frosting in the fridge for several weeks.
Caramel Frosting Recipe
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat butter over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepan.
- When the butter is melted, stir in brown sugar.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and boil 2 minutes longer, still stirring.
- Stir in milk and heat to boiling.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Slowly stir in powdered sugar.
- Place saucepan of frosting in a bowl of very cold water and beat frosting until smooth. If frosting is too stiff, add an additional 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until frosting is smooth.
Frosts one 9×13 inch cake.
This best banana cake recipe is from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Save Money On Groceries And Make Meals Easier! (Sale Up To 50% Off!)
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks SALE Up To 50% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!