These meatloaf and meatballs recipes and ideas will help you save time making dinner. Get dinner started early by preparing some easy to use freezer meals.
Meatloaf, Meatballs and Hamburger Recipes And Ideas
Buy 5 pounds or more of hamburger and prepare your favorite meatloaf recipe. Then form part of it into any combination of the following:
- 1 or 2 meat loaves
- mini meat loaves (the size that will fit into mini loaf pans)
- portions that will fit into muffin tins
- form the rest into nice sized patties
Lay everything out on cookie sheets and freeze. When frozen, place into freezer bags. When you need something quick for dinner, just pull a bag of something out of the freezer.
Here are some ways to use your meatballs and frozen hamburger treasures:
- Spaghetti and meatballs
- Mini meat loaves- The smaller they are, the faster they cook. The mini meat loaves cook quickly, but the muffin tin size cook even faster.
- Smothered steaks- Fry the hamburger patties and make a gravy to go over them. Serve with tater tots, a veggie and a salad.
- Bacon steaks- Wrap a piece of bacon around a hamburger patty and then fry it. Serve with French fries, baked beans and coleslaw.
- Smothered meatballs- Slow cook the meatballs in a can of Cream of Mushroom soup for about 20 minutes. For that extra something, add a little sour cream at the end of the cooking time. These are great over rice or noodles.
- Meatloaf- Last but not least, simply serve a good old meatloaf dinner. You can serve it with mashed potatoes or better yet toss in some baked potatoes to cook at the same time as the meatloaf.
When making meatloaf, you don’t have to bake it separately from the rest of the meal. You can make it a one pan dish by adding potatoes, carrots and onions before you bake it. Add a little brown sugar to any meatloaf recipe to bring out the flavor.
- If you are getting tired of having to carefully form another hamburger patty for the barbecue, here’s an easy trick my mom always used to make her hamburger patties. Tear some wax paper into squares. I usually tear strips about 6 inches wide, stack them together and cut the strips in half. This doesn’t have to be perfect. You’re making squares that are just a little bigger than your hamburger patties. Now lay a wax paper square down, set a ball of hamburger on it and top with another piece of wax paper. Take a plate and gently press the ball to the thickness that you would like.
- If a meatloaf recipe calls for a little milk, use buttermilk instead. This will give you a more tender meatloaf.
Instead of pouring ketchup on top of your meatloaf, try this glaze on it:
Meatloaf Glaze Recipe
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. cider vinegar.
Mix and pour on meatloaf about 15 minutes before it is done.
If you use this meatloaf recipe for any of the above purposes, you will probably want to use ketchup instead of the barbecue sauce that is mentioned in the basic meatloaf recipe.
Easy Meatloaf Recipe
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal or 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
Mix everything together except the ketchup. Put into a loaf pan. Spread ketchup over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Serves 6.
Here are a couple of other recipes to try
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!