Packing for a Picnic
Picnic season is upon us. Here are a couple of tips to help make things go more smoothly:
- Bring a box or picnic basket filled with non perishable things and a cooler for your cold things.
- Pack the picnic basket with the things you need first on top with everything else stacked in the order you will use or need it. For example, always put your table cloth on the top so you can spread it out first.
- Your cooler needs 25% ice and 75% food. Place the ice on the bottom of the cooler and on the sides if you can. Place the items that are heaviest or can spoil quickly right on top of the ice. Be sure to use the smallest cooler you can so it is packed full. Like a freezer, the more it is packed, the colder it stays.
- Larger chunks of ice melt more slowly.
- Make your picnic as elaborate or as simple as you choose. A loaf of bread with a package of bologna, some fruit and cookies can make just as great picnic memories as a full blown picnic with fancy barbecue and all the assorted side dishes.
- Bring plastic bags to store everything — including dirty dishes, trash, wet clothes or dirty diapers.
It can be frustrating to arrive at your picnic and find you have forgotten something, so here is a list to help you remember some of the most important basics. You can add to this list or take away, depending on your own needs.
Don’t Forget These Things:
Matches, charcoal and lighter fluid
Hand towels or large towels if you are going to be near water. Trust me, someone will get wet.
Sunscreen, insect repellent and a small first aid kit
Condiments– sugar, salt and pepper
Plates, cups and silverware
Paper towels or napkins
Tablecloth and/or blanket
If you are going to be someplace where the kids could get lost then provide each of them with a whistle to wear around their necks. Also don’t forget the baseball bat and an assortment of balls, sand buckets, shovels and Frisbees.
What do you need to forget?
Hand held electronics gadgets and games. Also leave your stress and worries at home. You can deal with them later when you get back.
Last, but not least, bring lots of sunshine, fun and love!
photo by: myklroventine