This easy homemade fabric softener recipe makes fabric softener that works just as well as the store bought with ingredients you already have at home.
I have finally found a homemade fabric softener recipe that makes fabric softener like the real thing. I know you can use vinegar and I often have but I really like the smell and the extra softness that fabric softeners like Downy give you.
This recipe is also great for those of you who have started using our homemade shampoo recipe and have a bunch of conditioner to use up. With all the new yummy smells they have for shampoos and conditioners now you can have a different fun smelling laundry each week! This homemade fabric softener recipes takes less than 5 minutes to make so you can be using your for your laundry today and the best part is it costs about $.02 per load!
Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup hair conditioner
Pour the conditioner into the hot water. Stir (don’t shake) and then add the vinegar. Pour into a gallon container. Use the same amount of the fabric softener as you would use of the store bought kind or moisten a rag and throw it in the dryer. You can put it in your Downy balls too.
- I found that the water has to be very hot to dissolve the conditioner. If it doesn’t dissolve just whisk it or warm up the water hotter in the microwave.
- If you do need to buy conditioner, something like Suave Lavender from the Dollar Tree works just fine.
- This homemade fabric softener recipe makes a half gallon and if you want to make less, you can easily half the recipe.
- Yes it does work in HE washers.
- For sensitive skin, you will just have to use plain vinegar. My son has horrible eczema and I can’t use anything with scents on his clothes, so vinegar it is!