Try this yummy and easy homemade waffles recipe, with Dutch honey syrup, baked French toast, a brunch menu everyone will love and breakfast ideas to make it all easier!
Try this yummy and easy homemade waffles recipe, with Dutch honey syrup, baked French toast, a brunch menu everyone will love and breakfast ideas to make it all easier! You can find this recipe in our Dining On A Dime Cookbook on page 49.
Easy Homemade Waffles Recipe And Breakfast Tips
- Everyone loves waffles. If you are making your own waffles, try sprinkling them with crumbled bacon before you cook them (for the adults) or chocolate chips for the kids (use some of that leftover chocolate from Christmas). You might also try adding chopped fruit for everyone.
- For extra fluffy waffles, separate the egg yolk and the white. Add the yolk to the batter and beat the white in a separate bowl. Then fold into the batter.
- Another way to get extra fluffy pancakes or waffles is to substitute club soda for part of the liquid.
- Don’t forget to freeze the extra waffles and/or make extras to freeze while you have everything out. Then you’ll have something quick and easy to pop in the toaster for those hurried mornings or evenings.
- When making pancakes, waffles, or French toast, always cook all the batter or, in the case of the French toast, make a few extra pieces to place in the freezer for those hectic mornings. Just pop them in the toaster and use them like you would use the expensive ones you find in your freezer section at the grocery store.
- Do the same with extra sausage patties. Freeze them and then when you have leftover biscuits, slide one into each biscuit and freeze the whole thing for a quick sausage and biscuit sandwich to take with you.
(for those of you not on a diet)
Dutch Honey Syrup*
Bacon or Sausage
Grapefruit halves or orange slices
Coffee or Tea
Easy Homemade Waffles Recipe
2 cups flour or wheat flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil, margarine or butter, melted
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 2/3 cups milk
Heat the waffle iron. Beat eggs in a medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in the remaining ingredients, just until smooth. Do not over mix. Pour the batter onto the center of the hot waffle iron. Bake 5 minutes or until the steaming stops. Remove carefully. Makes twelve 4 inch waffles.
Dutch Honey Syrup Recipe
I got the recipe for this syrup from my sister-in-law, Kathleen. It is not for the faint of heart or for those on a diet but it is amazingly delicious. I usually set this out on the stove when I first start dinner so it will be ready by the time everything else is done. You can also make it the day before. It’s like pouring melted caramels on your waffles.
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
Place the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or more until it is caramel colored. Watch it because it boils over very easily.
Breakfast Menu #2
(for those of you watching your waistline… sort of)
Bacon or sausage
Grapefruit halves or orange slices
Baked French Toast or English Muffin
Coffee or tea
This next recipe is another good recipe for breakfast, brunch or dinner. You can substitute leftover dry bread in place of the French bread if you like.
Keep a bag in the freezer and when you have one or two pieces of dry bread, toss them in. When you have enough dry bread leftovers, make something like this recipe or stuffing.
Baked French Toast Recipe
1 loaf Texas Toast or French Bread, broken into cubes
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
1 cup walnuts
Place the bread into a 9×13 pan. Beat the eggs and add the next four ingredients. Pour over the bread. Refrigerate overnight. Before baking, mix the margarine, sugar, syrup, and nuts. Melt and pour over the bread. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Do not over bake.
This easy homemade waffles recipe is from our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!