This tasty homemade ice cream sandwich recipe makes tasty ice cream sandwiches your family is sure to love.
You will also find some easy ice cream sandwich dessert recipes and variations your family will love, which do not require you to make the sandwiches homemade if you’re looking for shortcuts to tasty recipes! You can make these ice cream sandwich desserts using the homemade ice cream sandwiches or store bought ice cream sandwiches.
This ice cream sandwich recipe makes tasty ice cream sandwiches with a fresh homemade taste. It is a longer process to make these than most of our recipes, so it may not be worth making them yourself if your goal is quick and easy.
This recipe is best to make if you feel like making something homemade or if you are looking for an easy recipes to use to teach your kids how to get started making their own homemade desserts. The process includes making a simple dough, baking it, preparing the ice cream and then storing it in the freezer or putting it all together to make your ice cream sandwiches and enjoy.
The recipes does call for cutting the ice cream into the proper sizes to fit the ice cream sandwiches, wrapping and freezing for 24 hours, so be sure to plan ahead!
If you want to make this ice cream sandwich recipe more than a week ahead of time, just freeze the cookies separately from the ice cream in plastic freezer bags. They will keep three to six months in the freezer when frozen separately.
Then when you want to make an ice cream sandwich, or when the kids need a cool snack, just make up as many as you need to satisfy that sweet tooth.
If you make the cookies ahead of time and keep them in the freezer, you won’t even have to turn on the oven when you want to make a few ice cream sandwiches!
Make sure you chill the dough for a full hour because, if you don’t, it will stick badly to the plastic wrap and you will have a mess on your hands!
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
This easy homemade ice cream sandwich recipe makes ice cream sandwiches that are so fresh and tasty everyone will ask for more! They are easy to make and the entire family will love them!
- Yield: 6 large or 12 small ice cream sandwiches
1 brick ice cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
- Cut the ice cream into 2×5 inch rectangles about 3/4 inch thick.
- Place each ice cream rectangle between aluminum foil or plastic wrap and freeze at least 24 hours.
- For the cookies, start by beating the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add baking powder, salt, cocoa and flour.
- Mix well.
- Place the dough on plastic wrap and wrap tightly.
- Chill the dough 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll the ice cream sandwich dough into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- Cut into rectangles 2×5 inches each.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet to make the cookies.
- Prick the surfaces of the cookies lightly with a fork.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges look set. (The centers of the cookies will be slightly puffed).
- Remove from the baking sheet.
- Make ice cream sandwiches by placing one ice cream piece inside of 2 cooled cookie pieces.
- Store up to one week. If you want to freeze the ice cream sandwiches longer than 1 week, freeze the cookies separately from the ice cream pieces.
This recipe makes large 6 ice cream sandwiches, but you could also cut them in half to make 12 smaller ice cream sandwiches.
This homemade ice cream sandwich recipe is from our cookbook:
Save Money On Groceries And Make Meals Easier! (Sale Up To 50% Off!)
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks SALE Up To 50% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
This ice cream sandwich dessert recipe is an easy dessert recipe to make on a hot day! You can make this with the homemade ice cream sandwiches, but if you’re in a hurry and just need a quick snack for the kids, starting with store bought samdwiches is a lot faster. Either way, this recipe is delicous and you can make lots of tasty variations to suit your family!
Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert Recipe
This ice cream sandwich dessert recipe makes an “almost perfect” dessert. It is super easy, you can keep all the ingredients on hand and you can keep one in the freezer ready to go at all times.
This dessert recipe is perfect for adults or kids and is great for parties or get togethers. It also has the added bonus of being cool and refreshing on a hot summer day.
12 ice cream sandwiches
1 (8 oz.) container of whipped topping
mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, crushed candy (optional)
- Lay ice cream sandwiches in a 9×13 inch pan.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Spread with whipped topping.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, sprinkles or candy.
- Freeze until ready to use.
Instant Version of this Dessert
- Lay an ice cream sandwich on a plate.
- Sprinkle with berries, bananas and/or pineapple. Alternatively, drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce and add a dollop of whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or sprinkles.
Since this ice cream sandwich dessert is a dessert, half of an ice cream sandwich would be more than enough to make the dessert a full serving, especially for kids.
Easy Lemonade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
This lemonade ice cream sandwich recipe makes a quick an easy variation on ice cream sandwiches with a lemonade flavored twist. They are really handy to make ahead of time and keep in the freezer, not only for dessert but for a snack any time on a hot summer day.
1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
1 3/4 tsp. lemonade soft drink mix
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup whipped topping
16 graham cracker squares
- Place ice cream in a bowl.
- Dissolve lemonade mix in water.
- Stir into ice cream.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Freeze about 20 minutes.
- Spread about 3 Tbsp. of the mixture on 8 of the graham cracker squares.
- Top with the other 8 graham cracker squares.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1 hour.