If you need an easy basic homemade white cake recipe that tastes delicious, this is the one! It’s easy to make, tastes just like Grandma’s white cake and can be used for any occasion! It makes a great birthday cake, wedding cake or just an I love you cake!
You can find this recipe in volume 1 of our Dining On A Dime Cookbook.
This white cake recipe uses just egg whites so that it stays really white but you can save the egg yolks and use them in scrambled eggs so nothing goes to waste.Print
Homemade White Cake Recipe
- Yield: 18 servings
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl except the egg whites.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add egg whites.
- Beat on high for 2 additional minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Pour into 1 greased and floured 9×13 baking pan or three 8-inch or two 9-inch pans.
- Bake at 350° for the times listed below.
- The white cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Frost with chocolate frosting.
- 8-inch pan – 23-28 minutes
- 9-inch pan – 30-35 minutes
- 9×13 inch – 40-45 minutes
- 30 cupcakes – 20-25 minutes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cocoa
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Place all of the frosting ingredients into a bowl. Beat until smooth. Frosts one 9×13 inch cake.
Make the chocolate frosting recipe above, but leave out the cocoa and only use 2-3 Tbsp. milk.
This easy homemade white cake recipe is from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!
My husband has allergies to lots of the preservative in bought mixes, how would I make a recipe for Devil’s food or Spice cake mixes?
Here are a couple. It you need more just go to our website and type in cake for more. Devil’s Food Cake The picture on this next looks like gingerbread but it is really a spice cake.
I love your cookbooks. I bought my granddaughter a few so that when she gets married next year after she graduates she will have recipes to cook.
Thank you so much Patricia. I know the basic cookbook I got when I left home helped me more than I ever realized it would. I love giving a cookbook to kids leaving home or getting married. I have always thought one of the best wedding or graduation gifts is a cookbook, first aid book and handyman book. Most people don’t think of giving all those for gifts but they sure do come in handy.