This quick and easy crepes recipe is one of our favorite recipes! We just love crepes! This simple crepes recipe is super delicious and easy to make with ingredients you already have on hand. These crepes are versatile, and can be filled with virtually anything — fruits, pudding, mousse for desserts as well as vegetables and meats for dinner.
This quick and easy crepes recipe is from volume 1 of our Dining On A Dime Cookbook.
If you don’t know how to make crepes, this simple crepes recipe is super easy to make! Crepes are a very thin type of pancakes that originated in France. They are often served with jam, berries or a hazelnut cocoa spread like Nutella.
Crepes are a popular “walk-around” food in France. If you are ever in Paris, there are “creperies” all over the place where people will make crepes to order right in front of you. We usually roll our crepes with the toppings inside and sometimes as a garnish on the top, but in Paris, it is more customary for the crepe shop to fold the crepes four ways (in half and then in half again) after spreading the filling inside.
Here are some popular toppings for homemade crepes:
- Sugar – powdered sugar or granulated sugar. Some people use caster sugar, which is like a super fine granulated sugar to give it a little bit of a crunchy texture.
- Jam – Any jam works well, but berry jams are most common. Crepes are delicious with strawberry jam, blackberry, blueberry and more. You can also use other fruit jams like lemon or orange marmalade.
- Sweet whipped cream (called Chantilly in France)
- Shredded coconut
- Nutella – This hazelnut cocoa spread is one of the most popular crepe fillings in France. Nutella and almonds and Nutella and banana are also great together.
If you want to make savory crepes instead of sweet crepes, all you have to do is scramble some eggs and add some bacon or ham, cheese, green onions and olives or you could make ham and cheese or broccoli, chicken and cheese. The possible combinations of ingredients are endless!
- Cheese (Most cheeses will work well but in France, savory crepes were served with Emmental, a savory Swiss type cheese.)
How do you store crepes?
This easy crepes recipe is best made at the time you are going to eat them. If you like, you can make the crepes and then freeze them between pieces of waxed paper for later.
Do not make the batter until you are ready to make the crepes (usually within 30 minutes). If you wait too long to cook the crepes after making the batter, the crepes will not turn out properly.
How To Make Crepes
When you cook the crepes, you do need to make sure that your pan is well oiled for the first homemade crepe but you may not have to add oil to your pan each time. Try a few and you will get the hang of how often you need to oil your pan.
Once you make the crepe batter, you pour a small amount into a skillet and rotate the skillet until a thin film of the batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown and then turn the crepe with a spatula to cook the other side.
This really is a very easy crepes recipe! I’m sure you and your family will love it!
Easy Crepes Recipe – How To Make Crepes
This easy crepes recipe is one of our favorite recipes! Simple and delicious French crepes you can make with ingredients you already have! They are perfect as a light breakfast or snack.
- Yield: 12 crepes 1x
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
- To make the crepes, forst mix the dry ingredients.
- Then stir in the remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth.
- Heat the pan or griddle as you would for pancakes.
- For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet.
- Immediately lift and rotate the skillet until a thin film covers the bottom.
- Cook until light brown.
- Turn with a spatula and cook the other side until light brown.
- Spread some of your favorite jam, jelly or fresh fruit on each crepe.
- Roll and top with whipped topping.
This quick and easy crepes recipe is from volume 1 of our cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!