When Queens Ride By
This is a wonderful, inspiring and important story that I really want to share with you. I first read this myself 30-some years ago and it has had more of an impact on my thoughts, feelings and attitudes toward being a wife, mother and homemaker than anything else in my life ever has.
Even though it was written in 1926, its basic principles can still be applied to today’s world. At first reading, it may not seem that way but I’m going to give you some things to watch for as you read it to see if you couldn’t apply them to your life today.
I get so exasperated when I hear people say “but things are so much harder and more stressful now than years ago.” That is so not true. People are the same and life is the same. That is why the Bible’s principles can still work as well today as they have for thousands of years. The basic human nature, the wants and needs are still there.
Here are some things to watch for and notice while you are reading the story. As you read, note how even though Jennie worked on the farm she had all the same things to deal with as if she were a modern woman who left to work her full time job each day.
- She couldn’t keep up with the laundry and housework
- She had to leave the kids “to their own devices” (like videos games or coming home to an empty house)
- She didn’t bother with her appearance. (Is that like wearing sweats all the time?)
- She spent time eating on the run. She didn’t have time to prepare proper meals or often didn’t feel like it.
- She felt like she had no time or relationship with her spouse.
- Jennie and her husband had a large mortgage and were at the point of losing their home.
- She constantly had feelings of self pity-making comments like, “You don’t know my situation, I have no choice”.
- She thought, “This is too hard of work for a woman,” but was convinced that if she left the job to her husband they would starve and he needed her help. She was sure that they couldn’t do it on one income.
- She had the desire for more and wanted to keep up with the Joneses.
Keep your eyes open for these things and others as you read the story.
Download When Queens Ride By as a free pdf e-Book here:
Download Note: When you try to download, we recommend RIGHT clicking the download button, clicking “Save as” and then saving the e-book to your computer. This allows you to tell the computer where to save the file. Then you should be able to double click the e-book file where you saved it on your computer and it should open with Adobe Reader.
Kindle Version Also Available
If you prefer a kindle edition, you can get one at Amazon.com here.
The Kindle version is formatted specifically for the Amazon Kindle Readers and can be viewed on many popular e-book readers. If you don’t have a portable reader, you can download a free program from Amazon.com that enables you to read Kindle ebooks on your PC or Mac.
photo by: robertsharp59