One excuse we often use for not getting things done at home is “I don’t have time.” Many of our readers have heard me tell of the 5 minute rule I started using years ago when I first got sick.
I was too weak to do much but I found that, if I made myself get up during the 5 minute TV commercial, do what I could in that 5 minutes and then rest, I got an amazing amount of things done.
Here’s a list to help you start making those little 5 minute blocks of time more productive:
5 Minute Quick Clean-Up In The Kitchen
- Clean out the silverware drawer.
- Put the dishes in the dishwasher.
- Dry the dishes.
- Set the table.
- Clean off one shelf in the fridge.
- Clean off one shelf in the pantry.
- Sort through one shelf in the cabinets.
- Sweep the floor.
- Wash a window or glass door.
- Wipe down all the back splashes.
- Clean under the kitchen sink.
- Wipe down the outside of the kitchen cabinets.
- Wash a few knick knacks.
- Wipe down the outsides of appliances.
Using this list as an example, make a cleaning list for other rooms in your home. Keep it handy. Then, when you have a couple of minutes, pick something off of your list and do it.
Photo By: Nancy Hugo, CKD