This Chocolate Covered Cherry Rice Krispie Treats recipe has the flavor of chocolate covered cherries. They are as easy to make as the regular rice krispie treats but give an entirely different twist on an old time favorite.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
6 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. cherry gelatin powder*
16 oz. pkg. mini marshmallows
8 cups rice krispie cereal
11 oz. dark chocolate, melted
Melt butter, gelatin powder and marshmallows in a large pan over low heat. Stir constantly. When marshmallows are melted fold in cereal then press mixture ** into a 9×13 pan or baking sheet. Frost or drizzle with melted chocolate. Set for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.
* You could use strawberry gelatin in place of the cherry.
**To make it easier to press them into the pan, put a little bit of butter or spray your fingertips with a small amount of cooking spray and then press them in. This will keep the marshmallow from sticking to your fingers and get the job done quick and clean!
Rice Krispie Treats Variations And Tips:
- If you want to make regular Rice Krispie Treats, then just leave out the cherry gelatin powder and dark chocolate.
- You could start mixing and matching all kinds of things to make these gourmet Rice Krispie Treats!
- Peanut Butter Cup: put in a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in place of the cherry gelatin.
- Rocky Road: add some mini marshmallows, walnuts or almonds and chocolate chips for Rocky Road.
- Rainbow: Use Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- Mint Chip: Add 1/2 tsp. mint extract and a few drops green food coloring into marshmallows. Top with chocolate.
- Candy: Add Reeces Pieces, M&M’s, Twix, Rolo’s, Skittles any of your favorite candies can be mixed in or just pressed on top.
- Oreo: Break up some Oreo Cookies and put in the mixture. Leave a few to press into the top.