A lot of people don’t know that you can make your own Homemade Brown Sugar. This homemade brown sugar recipe is super simple to make and you can make it with ingredients you already have on hand, saving you the money you don’t have to spend running to the grocery store and buying all those other things you think you need while you’re there!
You can make a big batch of homemade brown sugar and use it in oatmeal, topping for coffee cakes, and of course cinnamon rolls. If you would like to store the homemade brown sugar, just put it in a plastic bag or jar and seal. The airtight container is the trick to keeping it from getting hard. If it gets hard just put a piece of bread in with it and it will soften up. The moisture from the bread will transfer to your brown sugar and make it soft again.
Here are some other tips for making the brown sugar soft:
- Put it in the microwave for a few seconds and that will soften it too.
- pulse it in the food processor
- wrap a wet paper towel around brown sugar and let it sit for several hours
- place an apple in with the brown sugar
- place a clean piece of terracotta in with the brown sugar (these sell for a lot in the store so just get your own.)
Homemade Brown Sugar Recipe
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. molasses
Mix well with mixer. When everything is blended, store in an airtight container.
There are different strengths of molasses so you can ever so slightly adjust the amount of molasses if you want darker or lighter brown sugar. My recipe calls for what I call “regular” molasses. To make dark homemade brown sugar just add another tablespoon of molasses.
Photo By: Ruth Suehle