This banana cupcakes recipe is a super delicious treat for the kids or for a nice dessert item! It has always been one of our kids’ favorite recipes. You can use it to make banana cupcakes or banana bread and it’s a perfect way to use very ripe bananas before they go bad. These cupcakes are a nice alternative to plain banana bread or muffins.
I use this banana cupcakes recipe to make 1 loaf of banana bread, but my favorite way to use it is to make banana cupcakes. These cupcakes are always a nice surprise instead of the typical banana bread or banana muffins. I have tried many different banana bread and muffin recipes over the years but I keep coming back to this one that has been in my family for 75 years or more.Print
Easy Banana Cupcakes Recipe
- Yield: 12 dozen regular size cupcakes
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup solid shortening or margarine
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sour milk
1 cup bananas (about 3) mashed, very ripe are best
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2–1 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add each ingredient in order, beating until smooth.
- Pour into greased muffin tins or tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Frost with buttercream frosting (canned vanilla or homemade).
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
3 cups powdered sugar (If sugar is lumpy, you may want to sift it.)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1–2 Tbsp. milk
- Mix sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add milk, beating until smooth. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk to get the right consistency.
- This frosts about one 9×13 cake, two 8 inch cakes or 1 dozen cupcakes.
- You can store this frosting in the fridge for several weeks.
- When a recipe calls for you to beat the eggs before adding, I usually break the eggs on top of the ingredients that are already in the bowl, whisk slightly with a fork and continue mixing into the other ingredients with the mixer. This prevents you from getting out and dirtying a separate bowl to beat the eggs.
- If you want to make banana bread with this recipe, bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes.
- You can add raisins or other dried fruit if you like.
- This banana cupcakes recipe is a great way to use up ripe bananas.
- Many people love cream cheese frosting but I prefer vanilla buttercream for this recipe. It gives it a different flavor than the typical cream cheese frosting you find in many places. Cream cheese frosting is also good, but, but buttercream gives a more unique flavor.
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks 25% Off NOW! They’re filled with tasty recipes and tips to make your life easier!