Steak Salad Recipe and Easy Meal
- If you have leftover chili or leftover beans from a bean dish, use them to replace the hamburger for nachos the next day.
- Applesauce can be a life saver for a quick and easy side dish. You can jazz it up by adding red cinnamon candies, or a touch of vanilla or apple pie spice in place of the usual cinnamon.
- Keep packages of French onion dip in your pantry. For a great flavor enhancement, add a tablespoon to homemade macaroni and cheese, sprinkle on cooked veggies, mix into meatloaf or hamburger patties or just sprinkle on different meats. Be daring and try some sprinkled on homemade (or canned) dinner rolls or in your favorite potato recipe.
- When making boxed macaroni and cheese, add 2 slices of American cheese to enhance the flavor.
- To save yourself from having to peel so many mashed potatoes for a lot of people or if you are short of regular potatoes, peel 2-3 regular potatoes. Cook and mash them as usual and then add them to a prepared batch of instant potatoes. Your friends and family won’t be able to tell they are instant because the real potatoes give them the real potato texture, lumps and all.
In this menu, I have included a quick and easy dessert that I dedicate to my daughter, who loves anything Pina Colada flavored.
Pina Colada Dessert*
This steak salad recipe is a great way to use leftover grilled steak or leftover roast and helps to stretch your meat. If you are in a hurry, you don’t have to make the dressing from scratch. Just use you favorite bottled dressing, especially one that will enhance the blue cheese flavor.
Steak Salad Recipe
6 cups salad greens
1 tomato, cubed
1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thin sliced
1/4 cup stuffed olives, sliced
1 1/2 – 2 cups cooked steak or roast, thin sliced or cubed
1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Shake together dressing ingredients, stirring in blue cheese last. Cover and chill until ready to use. On a large platter, layer salad ingredients in order.
*If you are pressed for time, you can use bottled dressing. Just take the 1/2 cup blue cheese and sprinkle on top of the salad. Then pour on the bottled dressing.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (4 oz.) each cheddar cheese and pepper Jack, shredded
3 green onions, chopped
1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
Sour cream and salsa, optional
Peel and slice potatoes into 1/8 inch slices. Microwave in a greased 9-inch pan for 3 – 4 minutes on high, until almost tender. Sprinkle with cheeses, onion and olives. Cook in microwave some more until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Pina Colada Dessert
1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits
1 package (3.4 oz.) instant coconut cream or vanilla pudding
1 carton (8 oz.) whipped topping
4 Tbsp. flaked coconut, toasted, divided
Maraschino cherries, optional
Drain pineapple, set juice aside. Beat juice and pudding for 2 minutes until thick. Fold in whipped topping, pineapple and 3 Tbsp. coconut and pour into serving dishes. Garnish with remaining coconut and a cherry and/or piece of pineapple.
Click here to get the Dining On A Dime Cookbook, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!